Basalt model bottle (dummy bottle, inside not hollowed out); fine grained; yellow deposit on upper rim. (Ritual vessel used in "Opening of the Mouth" ceremony.) [08-7-37]
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Tools & Equipment-Ritual implements
- Menkaure Valley Temple (MVT / on wall between magazines III 7 and III 8)
- Height x diameter: 11.2 x 5 cm (4 7/16 x 1 15/16 in.)
- Credit Line
- Harvard University–Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition
- Object Ownership Information
- Old Kingdom, Dynasty 4
- This object was excavated by the Harvard University–Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition, but was not recorded in any object register book. 1908: Excavated by the Harvard University–Museum of Fine Arts Expedition; 1911: assigned to the MFA in the division of finds by the government of Egypt. (Accession date: March 2, 1911)
- Registration number obtained from publication; no registration records available for 1908. Opening of the Mouth set includes: MFA 11.765 (flint pesesh-kef), MFA 11.767, MFA 11.768, MFA 11.769 (three basalt model cups), MFA 11.770 (quartz crystal model cup), MFA 11.771 (alabaster model bottle), MFA 11.772 (basalt model bottle).
Dunham, Dows & William J. Young. "An Occurrence of Iron in the Fourth Dynasty." Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 28 (1942), p. 57.
Reisner, George A. Mycerinus: The Temples of the Third Pyramid at Giza. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1931, p. 36 (July 19), p. 233, p. 263, pl. 61e, f, 65b.
Roth, Ann Macy. "Fingers, Stars, and the 'Opening of the Mouth': the Nature and Function of the nTrwj-blades." Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 79 (1993), p. 73.
Thomas, Nancy, ed. The American Discovery of Ancient Egypt. Los Angeles: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1995, p. 122, cat. 36.
Name of this image
Description of the image duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Sed posuere consectetur est at lobortis. Donec sed odio dui.
- Heather ONeill email@example.com
- Nicholas Picardo firstname.lastname@example.org
- Luke Hollis email@example.com
Hi ! (not you? Login to your account.)