Base [and lower torso] fragments of faience ushabtis [of Wahibre, Type III 2d, (middle of Dynasty 26, or shortly after)] (part of group of 423+ ushabtis, including 25-2-824 through 25-2-838, 25-2-841 through 25-2-844, 25-2-875 through 25-2-882); [combined: molded (four different half-molds used): mold i: body thick and clumsy, face wide and heavy, base heavy (and often ill-formed); mold ii: body thinner (than mold i), face narrow and refined with slightly downward tilt, base smaller and shallower (lower) and more neatly squared (than mold i); mold iii and iv (greater number of these uninscribed ushabtis of form intermediate between these two molds and almost unclassifiable, for mold iii see style type C, for mold iv see style type D); style types ('workman") A, B, C, and D: type A: many slightly retouched on face and breast, back blade-dressed (single cut on back, smaller cut on each edge), no basket or lappet on back, most figures slender (lighter than type B); type B: Ba) back untrimmed and unadorned, Bb) groove on each side of body indicates pilaster, Bc) same as Bb, but with groove cut for lower end of lappet, Bd) basket indicated on left shoulder (back) by a few crude crossing lines, Be) pilaster and lappet, no basket; type C: similar to type A, tall and slender; type D: similar to type A, but smaller mold; very soft-baked (insufficiently, very fragile) coarse grained light colored paste, core greyish blue, stained on outer edge, greenish glaze (glaze little more than thin veneer of colored powder), extremely fragile material accounts for very large number of broken specimens; type A: 13 inscribed, 177 uninscribed; type B: 56 inscribed (inscribed type B: Bb = 18, Bc = 5, Bd = 18, Be = 15, total = 56), 153 uninscribed (uninscribed type B: Ba = 3, Bb = 55, Bc = 20, Bd = 37, Be = 0, fragments = 38, total = 153); type C: 1 inscribed; type D: 8 inscribed; 11 of uncertain type both inscribed and uninscribed; plus 2 probably intrusive ushabtis; seven text variants: 1) [GLYPHS], 2) [GLYPHS], 3) [GLYPHS], 4) [GLYPHS], 5) [GLYPHS], 5a) [GLYPHS], 6) [GLYPHS]; text variant 1: type Bb = 2, Bc = 1, Bd = 4, Be = 9, uncertain = 3, total = 19; text variant 2: type Bd = 8, Be = 6, total = 14; text variant 3: type A = 2, type Bb = 1, Bc = 1, Bd = 3, uncertain = 2, total = 9; text variant 4: type Bc = 1, Bd = 2, uncertain = 1, total = 4; text variant 5: type A = 10, type Bb = 5, total = 6; text variant 5a: type A = 10, type Bb = 10, Bc = 2, uncertain = 1, total = 23; text variant 6: type Bd = 1, total = 1]; these ushabtis (25-5-835) inscribed on back or front [GLYPHS]; [intrusive ushabtis: type x: molded, back blade-dress in three cuts, no basket, soft light colored coarse paste, pale green glaze, figure tall (fragment from beard to shins); type y: hard baked whitish paste, thick shiny bright blue glaze, figure slender (foot end fragment, in two pieces)]. Illustration: No
- Harvard University-Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition
- Tomb equipment-Ushabtis and ushabti boxes
- Pit G 7632 A, [sub-pit b =] A II
- Height: 3.3 - 6.3 cm; [type A: 8.2 - 8.8 cm, mean 8.5 cm; type B: 8.4 - 9 cm, mean 8.7 cm; type C: 7.7 cm; type D: 7 cm; uncertain: 8.4 - 9 cm; intrusive x: 7.4 cm (originally 10.7 cm ?); intrusive y: 3.3 cm (originally 8.8 cm ?)]
- Credit Line
- Harvard University–Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition
- Object Ownership Information
- MFA accession numbers: 25.3192, 25.3198, 25.3199, 25.3200, 25.5317– 25.5321
- Date of Register Entry
- Wahibre (in G 7632)
- See OR page 557 for table of information not included in description. 25-2-835: OR glyphs (text incomplete) = text variant 1 or 2, however not all ushabti fragments with this registration number have text variant 1 or 2. Fragments of nine ushabtis accessioned as MFA 25.3192 (= 25-2-832 head/torso + 25-2-835 legs/base, complete, text variant 5 on back, object mislabeled 3), MFA 25.3198 (text variant 2 on back), MFA 25.3199 (text variant 4 or 5a on front, object labeled 5a), MFA 25.3200 (= registration number unknown + 25-2-835 legs/base, complete, text variant 1 on back), MFA 25.5317 (text variant 1 on back), MFA 25.5318 (text variant 1 on back), MFA 25.5319 (text variant 1 on back), MFA 25.5320 (text variant 1 on back), MFA 25.5321 (text variant 1 on back).
- MFA accession numbers verified
Zivie-Coche, Christiane M. Giza Au Premier Millenaire: Autour du temple d'Isis dame des pyramides. Boston: Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1991, p. 276.
- Type Attested
- Remarks Father of Ahmose. Set of ca. 420+ inscribed and uninscribed ushabtis (25-2-824 – 25-2-838, 25-2-841 – 25-2-844, 25-2-875 – 25-2-882), with ca. 78+ inscribed for Wahibre (uninscribed ushabtis from this set attributed to Wahibre); found in G 7632 A, sub-pit b = A II, and scattered in central chamber = A I and sub-pit a = A VII. Name also appears on set of ca. 381+ inscribed and uninscribed ushabtis (25-2-954, 25-2-955, 25-2-956, 25-2-957, 25-2-958, 25-2-1008), with ca. 34 inscribed for Ahmose (uninscribed ushabtis from this set attributed to Ahmose); found in G 7632 A, with most in sub-pit c = A VI and a few in sub-pit a = A VII.
Name of this image
Description of the image duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Sed posuere consectetur est at lobortis. Donec sed odio dui.
- Heather ONeill firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nicholas Picardo email@example.com
- Luke Hollis firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi ! (not you? Login to your account.)