Skip to main content
This site is under construction. Thank you for your patience.
Diary Transcription:

microfilm: begin page 280

Saturday, March 7, 1925 (continued)

(4) G 7000 X (continued)
trickle into the damage of objects unseen and near the door. There is no true doorblock, the whole thirty meters or so of pit-blocking, all fastened to a solid mass with "gyps" (=gypsum) being evidently considered sufficient for this purpose.
The stones will be removed on the north down to floor level, probably at from 28 - 30 meters deep. Then a photograph will be taken of the blocks actually in front of the door and later these will be removed.

Letters apprising Mr. Quibell and Mr. Engelbach of these developments have been written and both have been asked to come out tomorrow afternoon to see the tomb chamber before work actually commences.

Sunday, March 8, 1925
115th day of work

No locals are now employed in the works, and Line VI is now out of use.

work on:
(1) Street G 7000
(2) Avenue G 0
(3) G 7000 X

(1) Street G 7000
Clearing all debris and Roman granaries from the street. Some work in the morning in breaking stones on temple of G I-b and in the afternoon outside entrance of that pyramid. A new Roman granary was found north of "110" and west of "113." This will await recording before removal. During afternoon work was chiefly in the area between "87" and "98" at east of street. Near "49" some stone is being removed.

(2) Avenue G 0
Clearing debris south of G 7214 L and (later) north and east of G 7214 E.
G 7215 D1: Chamber is still being cleared.

(3) G 7000 X
It was decided to photograph when, at the north, the depth was reached of 26.27 meters. When this had been done the blocks still in position opposite the door were drawn and then carefully removed one by one. A [mud jar-stopper (without seal impression)] was found jammed in among the stones, which were here beautifully cut and regular; two others

microfilm: end page 280

Details

  • Classification
    Documentation-Expedition diary pages
  • Department
    Harvard University-Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition
  • Credit Line
    Harvard University–Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition
  • Display Page Dates
    03/07/1925; 03/08/1925
  • Mentioned on page
    James Edward Quibell, British, 1867–1935
    Reginald Engelbach, British, 1888–1946
  • Author
    Thomas Richard Duncan Greenlees, British, 1899–

Tombs and Monuments 6

Photos 1

People 3

Modern People

  • James Edward Quibell

    • Type Mentioned on page
    • Nationality & Dates British, 1867–1935
    • Remarks Egyptologist; husband of Annie Abernethie. Nationality and life dates from Who was Who in Egyptology.
  • Reginald Engelbach

    • Type Mentioned on page
    • Nationality & Dates British, 1888–1946
    • Remarks Egyptologist and engineer. Nationality and life dates from Who was Who in Egyptology. (1888-1946) British Egyptologist and engineer; he was born in Moreton hampstead, Devon, 9 July 1888, son of Frederick George E., surgeon and Marianne Wrench; he was educated at Tonbridge School and afterwards trained as an engineer at the City and Guilds Institute 1905-8 but his studies were interrupted by a long illness, and a visit to Egypt during convalescence in 1909-10 turned his attention to Egyptology; he studied Egyptian, Coptic, and Arabic at University College London, and in 1911 went as assistant to Petrie (q.v.), excavating at Heliopolis, Shurafa, Kafr Ammar, Riqqa, and Haraga; in 1914 he joined the Artists Rifles, and served in France and Gallipoli and was then sent by Allenby to report on the ancient sites in Syria and Palestine; he married Nancy Lambert, 1915; after the war, he returned to help Petrie at Lahun and Gurob, 1919-20, and was appointed Chief Inspector in Upper Egypt for the Antiquities Service, 1920; Assistant Keeper, Cairo Museum, 1924; Chief Keeper, 1931; retired 1941; Hon. Member French Inst. 1935; Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur, 1937; Hon. Fellow University Coll. London, 1946, but died before confirmed; Technical Adviser to Cairo Museum, 1941-6; Engelbach had an active career in the field and in museum work and arrangement, his greatest achievement being without doubt his great museum Register for Cairo, a vast index of 100,000 nos.; he contributed articles to ASAE and otherjournals regularly; his main publications were, Riqqeh and Memphis VI, with chaps. by M. A. Murray,. H. Petrie, W M. F. Petrie, 1915; The Aswân Obelisk, with some remarks on ancient engineering, 1922; The Problem of the Obelisks from a study of the unfinished Obelisk of Aswan, 1923; Harageh, with B. G. Gunn, 1923; A Supplement to the Topographical Catalogue of the Private Tombs of Thebes, nos. 253-334. With some notes on the Necropolis from 1913 to 1924,1924; Gurob, with G. Brunton, 1927; Ancient Egyptian Masonry, with Somers Clarke, 1930; Index of Egyptian and Sudanese Sites from which the Cairo Museum contains Antiquities, 1931; edited the Introduction to Egyptian Archaeology. With special reference to the Egyptian Museum Cairo. 1946; some of his papers are in the Griffith Institute; he died in Cairo, 26 Feb.1946. ASAE 48 (1948), 1-7 (portr.) (bibl.) (G. Brunton); BIE29 (1946-7), 329-44 (0. Guéraud); JEA 32 (1946), 97-9 (S. R. K Glanville); R Janssen, The First Hundred Years, 1992, 14.
  • Thomas Richard Duncan Greenlees

    • Type Author
    • Nationality & Dates British, 1899–
    • Remarks Thomas Richard Duncan Greenlees, born South Africa, Sivaratri, March 10, 1899. British subject with a Scottish father and an English mother. For a brief period during 1925 he was a staff member of Harvard University--Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition, who later joined the Theosophist movement in India. Greenlees received his MA degree in 1922 from Oxford, where he studied Egyptian, Coptic and Arabic. April 2,1925, Greenlees appointed Assistant Curator of Egyptian Art at MFA.