Hard fine grained yellowish brown [lime] stone statuette, figure squatting in scribe's attitude; hand missing, one corner of base broken off (but found). Illustration: No
- Harvard University-Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition
- Menkaure quarry [MQ 1] (= MQ 137), in sand in offering chamber
- Credit Line
- Harvard University–Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition
- Object Ownership Information
- MFA accession number: 13.3140
- Old Kingdom, Dynasty 4, reign of Menkaure
- Date of Register Entry
- Khuenre (MQ 1)
- MFA accession number verified
Dunham, Dows. The Egyptian Department and its Excavations. Boston: Museum of Fine Arts, 1958, pp. 40-42, fig. 24.
Egyptian Art in the Age of the Pyramids. New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1999, pp. 278-279, cat. 72.
Fisher, Clarence S. "New Egyptian Galleries." Bulletin of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston 12, No. 71 (August 1914), p. 40, unnumbered fig.
Freed, Rita E., Lawrence M. Berman, and Denise M. Doxey. Arts of Ancient Egypt. MFA Highlights. Boston: MFA Publications, 2003, p. 88.
Jánosi, Peter. "Gab es Kronprinzen in der 4. Dynastie?" Göttinger Miszellen 158 (1997), p. 23, note 54.
Russmann, Edna. "A Second Style in Egyptian Art of the Old Kingdom." Mitteilungen des Deutschen Archäologischen Instituts, Abteilung Kairo 51 (1995), p. 272, note 32 (incorrectly called 13.1340, rather than 13.3140).
Sanborn, Ashton. "New Installation of Egyptian Sculpture." Bulletin of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston 23, No. 140 (December 1925), p. 72.
Smith, William Stevenson. Ancient Egypt as Represented in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Boston: Museum of Fine Arts, 1960 (6th ed.), pp. 46, 50, fig. 26.
Smith, William Stevenson. "The Old Kingdom in Egypt," The Cambridge Ancient History, rev. ed. of vols. I & II, Cambridge University Press, 1962, p. 34.
- Type Owner
- Remarks Owner of MQ 1. Son of Menkaure and Khamerernebty [II]. Appears in chapel relief, west wall (unnamed), east and south walls (depicted as young naked boy standing in front of his seated mother Khamerernebti on south wall), identified as [sA nswt smsw n Xt=f xrj-sStA n jt=f smr watj n jt=f] king's eldest son of his body, secretary of his father, sole companion of his father; in situ in Menkaure quarry cemetery MQ 1 = MQ 137. Limestone seated scribe statue (13-1-560 = MFA 13.3140) inscribed for Khuenre; found in Menkaure quarry cemetery MQ 1 = MQ 137.
Name of this image
Description of the image duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Sed posuere consectetur est at lobortis. Donec sed odio dui.
- Heather ONeill email@example.com
- Nicholas Picardo firstname.lastname@example.org
- Luke Hollis email@example.com
Hi ! (not you? Login to your account.)