microfilm: begin page 24
Monday, November 17, 1924
Sixteenth day of work.
(1) street between G I-b and G I-a, [avenue G 1]
(1) Avenue G 1
Street between G I-b and G I-a. By 11 a.m. had the cut in the rock sufficiently clear to see that it was a depository for a large sun-bark (boat grave) like that further north beside the causeway of Pyramid I (Khufu). [cf. also Dahshur of Dynasty 12 and Abusir of Dynasty 5].
[ILLUSTRATION] It is about 3 meters deep at the bow. The cut has been cleared out in ancient times and divided by cross walls of unclear purpose.
The unexcavated half lies under the great mound of debris left of the Nas Sisi when they took the stone from the upper part of the pyramid G I-a. This must now be removed. The upper part I ordered thrown in the hole left by Nas Sisi in the top of pyramid G I-a.
The inclined courses in the north face of G I-a begin about 6 meters east of the sloping passage to the burial chambers.
The rock underneath was dressed in a slope before the first sloping course was laid. Opposite the undressed blocks of C 1 are holes cut in the rock for lowering the blocks into place. All blocks floated on plaster of paris.
Curiously enough, part of C 1 of the southern face of G I-a, is also laid in an inclined rock flow and is inclined as opposite in G I-b. [Later: So also the eastern and northern face of G I-a except for the corners which are horizontal.] On this side [the southern side of G I-a] there is no sloping passage. Explanation not yet clear.
microfilm: end page 24
- Documentation-Expedition diary pages
- Harvard University-Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition
- Credit Line
- Harvard University–Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition
- Display Page Dates
- George Andrew Reisner, American, 1867–1942
- Type Author
- Nationality & Dates American, 1867–1942
- Remarks Egyptologist, archaeologist; Referred to as "the doctor" and "mudir" (Arabic for "director") in the excavation records. Nationality and life dates from Who was Who in Egyptology.
Name of this image
Description of the image duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Sed posuere consectetur est at lobortis. Donec sed odio dui.
Hi ! (not you? Login to your account.)