Frame for canopy of Queen Hetepheres I; consists of ten pillars, with cross-beams and corner-posts; two of the taller inscribed with the names and titles of King Snefru. The wood and copper fittings are restorations.
- Grand Egyptian Museum
- G 7000 X
- Wood (modern), ebony; gold; copper (modern)
- 222.5 x 256.6 x 311.2 cm; 1059000 g
- Credit Line
- Grand Egyptian Museum
- Journal d'Entree number
- Cairo Special Register number
- Old Kingdom, Dynasty 4, reign of Khufu
- Hetepheres I (G 7000 X)
- George Andrew Reisner, American, 1867–1942
- From excavations of George Reisner, 1925. Restored 1930-1932. A large portion of Special Register section 7 (volumes 13-16) was originally misnumbered, with the object numbers following in sequence from section 1 volume 4; these numbers have thus been given EMC_SR_1 prefixes, despite being recorded in section 7.
- RELATED CONSTITUENT(S): George Reisner; ALTERNATE NUMBER(S): EMC_JE_57711; EMC_SR_1.10073
Manuelian, Peter Der. " The Lost Throne of Queen Hetepheres from Giza: An Archaeological Experiment in Visualization and Fabrication."Journal of the American Research Center in Egypt 53 (2017), pp. 4, 25, figure 9.
Smith, William Stevenson. “The Old Kingdom in Egypt,” The Cambridge Ancient History, rev. ed. of vols. I & II, Cambridge University Press, 1962, p. 26.
- Type Owner
- Remarks Wife of King Snefru, founder of Egypt’s Fourth Dynasty, and mother of King Khufu, builder of the Great Pyramid. Her burial was hidden in a secret chamber (labeled G 7000 X) nearly 90 feet underground, and contained beautiful pieces of gilded and inlaid wooden furniture, silver jewelry, and a large alabaster sarcophagus that was found to be mysteriously empty.
- Type Attested
- Remarks First king of Dynasty 4. Father of Khufu.
- Type Excavator
- Nationality & Dates American, 1867–1942
- Remarks Egyptologist, archaeologist; Referred to as "the doctor" and "mudir" (Arabic for "director") in the excavation records. Nationality and life dates from Who was Who in Egyptology.
Name of this image
Description of the image duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Sed posuere consectetur est at lobortis. Donec sed odio dui.
- Heather ONeill email@example.com
- Nicholas Picardo firstname.lastname@example.org
- Luke Hollis email@example.com
Hi ! (not you? Login to your account.)