Unfinished gneiss seated statuette of Menkaure; second step of work, red guide lines for workman visible; good condition. [1908 no. 14 = published no. 26 = 08-7-8]
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Menkaure Valley Temple (MVT / room E = magazine III 3)
- Anorthosite gneiss
- Height x width: 35.2 x 18.5 cm (13 7/8 x 7 5/16 in.)
- Credit Line
- Harvard University–Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition
- Object Ownership Information
- Old Kingdom, Dynasty 4, reign of Menkaure
- This object was excavated by the Harvard University–Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition, but was not recorded in any object register book. 1908: Excavated by the Harvard University–Museum of Fine Arts Expedition; 1911: assigned to the MFA in the division of finds by the government of Egypt. (Accession date: March 2, 1911)
- Registration number obtained from publication; no registration records available for 1908.
Egyptian Art in the Age of the Pyramids. New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1999, p. 281, cat. 73.
Grzymski, Krzysztof. "Royal Statuary." In Egyptian Art in the Age of the Pyramids. New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1999, p. 52.
Hery, François-Xavier. "L'"inachevé" à la salle souterraine de la pyramide de Kheops." Sesto Congresso Internazionale di Egittologia. Atti, Volume I. Turin, 1993, pp. 260-261.
Manuelian, Peter Der. "Excavating the Old Kingdom. The Giza Necropolis and Other Mastaba Fields." In Egyptian Art in the Age of the Pyramids. New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1999, p. 145.
Reisner, George A. Mycerinus: The Temples of the Third Pyramid at Giza. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1931, pp. 36, 112.
- Type Owner
- Remarks Fifth king of Dynasty 4. Son of Khafre. Husband of Khamerernebti II. Builder of the Third Pyramid at Giza. Known two thousand years later by the Greeks as King Mycerinus.
Name of this image
Description of the image duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Sed posuere consectetur est at lobortis. Donec sed odio dui.
Hi ! (not you? Login to your account.)