Five faience ushabtis [of Ahmose, son of Wahibre, Type III 2d, (latter half of Dynasty 26)] (part of group of 381+ ushabtis including 25-2-954 through 25-2-958 and 25-2-1008); [combined: cast in half mold, back and base blade-dressed, soft-baked (many cracked in baking) coarse grained light colored paste, core greyish blue, but in a few cases brownish pink or orange, glaze greenish blue, decayed to greyish green and discolored by organic matter, type B (see below) incised with sharp tool; fragile material accounts for large number of broken specimens (many difficult to mend due to rubbing of soft break-surfaces), type A: intact = 53, mended = 49, fragments = 23, (type A total = 125); type B uninscribed: Ba intact = 32, Ba mended = 28, Ba fragments = 9, Ba total = 69; Bb intact = 21, Bb mended = 26, Bb fragments = 8, Bb total = 55; Bc intact = 1, Bc mended = 0, Bc fragments = 2, Bc total = 3; Bd intact = 47, Bd mended = 44, Bd fragments = 15, Bd total = 106; Be intact = 1, Be mended = 2, Be fragments = 0, Be total = 3; Bf intact = 1, Bf mended = 0, Bf fragments = 0, Bf total =1, (type B uninscribed total = 237); style types ("workmen") A and B: type A: many slightly retouched on face and breast, back blade-dressed (single cut on back, smaller cut on each edge), no basket or lappet on back, most figures slender (cf. type A ushabtis of Wahibre), and one specimen (fragment breast to knees) not retouched, back blade-dressed with single cut, sides untrimmed; type B (total = 254): Ba) one or two horizontal cuts to represent lappet (total = 69), Bb) two, three, or four horizontal cuts on back of left shoulder to represent basket (total = 55), Bc) two or more cuts on back of left shoulder to represent basket (total = 14), Bd) similar to Bb, but with cuts for lappet (total = 106), Be) similar to Bc, but with cuts for lappet (total = 9), Bf) cuts for lappet and two to three horizontal cuts on back of right shoulder (total = 1); all of type A uninscribed (total = 125), type B inscribed (type B inscribed: Bc = 11, Be = 6, total = 17) and uninscribed (type B uninscribed: Ba = 69, Bb = 55, Bc = 3, Bd = 106, Be = 3, Bf = 1, total = 237); plus two types of intrusive unshabtis; three text variants: 1) [GLYPHS], 2) [GLYPHS], 3) [GLYPHS]; text variant 1: Bc = 7+, Bb = 3, total = 10+; text variant 2: Bc = 4, Bb = 2, total = 6; text variant 3: (none listed in table, one fragment of Bb ?)]; these ushabtis (25-2-956) inscribed on back [GLYPHS]; three incomplete; [intrusive ushabtis: group II (all uninscribed) intact = 2, mended = 1, fragments = 10+, (group II total = 13+); group III (uninscribed) mended = 1, (group III total = 1); group II (large, same as intrusive "x" listed with ushabtis of Wahibre): molded, back blade-dressed in three cuts, no basket, soft light colored coarse paste, pale green glaze, figure tall; group III (small): similar to style types A and B (might not be intrusive)]. Illustration: No
- Harvard University-Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition
- Tomb equipment-Ushabtis and ushabti boxes
- Pit G 7632 A, [sub-pit c =] A VI
- Height: 5.2 - 7.75 cm; [type A: 6.5 - 7. 8 cm, mean 7.2 cm; type B (inscribed): 7 - 7.8 cm, mean 7.5 cm; type B (uninscribed): 6.7 - 7.8 cm, mean 7.2; intrusive II: 9.9 - 10.3 cm, mean 10.1 cm; instrusive III: 4.6]
- Credit Line
- Harvard University–Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition
- Object Ownership Information
- MFA accession numbers: 25.4629, 25.4630, 25.4631, 25.4632, 25.4633, 25.4754
- Date of Register Entry
- Wahibre (in G 7632)
- Ahmose (in G 7632)
- Five ushabtis labeled with registration number 25-2-956: MFA 25.4629, MFA 25.4630, MFA 25.4631, MFA 25.4632, MFA 25.4633; one additional (fragmentary) ushabti attributed to this registration number based on inscription: MFA 25.4754
- MFA accession numbers verified
- Type Owner
- Remarks Son of Wahibre. Set of ca. 381+ inscribed and uninscribed ushabtis (25-2-954, 25-2-955, 25-2-956, 25-2-957, 25-2-958, 25-2-1008), with ca. 34 inscribed for Ahmose (uninscribed ushabtis from this set attributed to Ahmose); found in G 7632 A, with most in sub-pit c = A VI and a few in sub-pit a = A VII.
- Type Attested
- Remarks Father of Ahmose. Set of ca. 420+ inscribed and uninscribed ushabtis (25-2-824 – 25-2-838, 25-2-841 – 25-2-844, 25-2-875 – 25-2-882), with ca. 78+ inscribed for Wahibre (uninscribed ushabtis from this set attributed to Wahibre); found in G 7632 A, sub-pit b = A II, and scattered in central chamber = A I and sub-pit a = A VII. Name also appears on set of ca. 381+ inscribed and uninscribed ushabtis (25-2-954, 25-2-955, 25-2-956, 25-2-957, 25-2-958, 25-2-1008), with ca. 34 inscribed for Ahmose (uninscribed ushabtis from this set attributed to Ahmose); found in G 7632 A, with most in sub-pit c = A VI and a few in sub-pit a = A VII.
Name of this image
Description of the image duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Sed posuere consectetur est at lobortis. Donec sed odio dui.
Hi ! (not you? Login to your account.)