- Giza 3D
- My Giza
microfilm: begin page 279
Saturday, March 7, 1925 (continued)
(3) Avenue G 0 (continued)
[G 7215 D1 (continued):] a fairly written text in black ink giving name and titles of a Royal Favorite Benqet, a name recalling that of the sister of Qa'ar in G 7101, where it is written [GLYPHS].
(4) G 7000 X
During the early part of the morning came up another of the limestone objects sketched [in entry for Friday, March 6, 1925, No. 6 // GAR] this bearing a scratched [GLYPHS]. This suggested to Rowe a resemblance with similar marks on roofing slabs in the highest chamber of the Great Pyramid where [GLYPHS] [probably for the out-gang which worked to south side] stands for south side, and [GLYPHS] [for that of the north side] (reading [TRANSLITERATION]) stands for north side. Several fragments of the same limestone coffin lid were also found but little pottery.
At 11:15 a regularly laid course of limestone blocks set in fine hard white "gyps"(= gypsum; N.B. for "cement" in this tomb, read "gyps" throughout)[(everything in parenthesis) = plaster as throughout the typed copy, A.B.H.], the level varying from depth of 2480 to 2520 from surface. The "gyps" (= gypsum) was noted to be thickest towards the south. Work ceased to allow a photograph to be taken.
The importance of this being fully realized Rowe and Greenlees both descended the pit to measure the stones of this course and stayed there until about 4:10 p.m. Mixed with the "gyps" (= gypsum) were found many fragments of a very large "tub" shaped pot of coarse red were, clearly used for mixing and holding "gyps" (= gypsum).
The sloping ledge at 20 meters proves very useful to our work, for on it the men have constructed a wooden platform whereupon the sit while pulling the ropes.
Near the west wall at about 2400 cm was found a part of a sharp flint implement, triple-faced [ILLUSTRATION].
At 2550 cm on the east was found a clay pot-sealing intact and quite hard. A small fragment of wooden stick was lying in the interstice at the south - west same level.
At the depth of 2550 at 3:30 p.m. it was observed that the rock surface on the south, here extremely good, fell away at an angle, and immediately afterwards the top of the door to a chamber was revealed. One limestone block was loosened and removed in order to see in. A large chamber is visible extending up a little to east and west of the door. It is possible to see what appears to be a sarcophagus in the foreground upon which are several staves or maces with gilded tops. A good deal of gilding appears on other objects upon the ground. It is certain that the burial is intact.
Work was now diverted towards re-blocking this small hole lest dust should
microfilm: end page 279