microfilm: begin page 76
Friday, December 25, 1914
(1) south end of G 5110
(2) pit A of G 5210
(3) serdabs of G 5220
(4) pit A of G 5223
(5) pit B of G 4940
(2) G 5210
Reached chamber of G 5210 A, pit filled with sand to bottom.
(3) G 5220
Serdab 3 is emptied, contained sand and limestone debris. Serdab 5 sand and stones.
No news from the front.
Saturday, December 26, 1914
Work as yesterday.
Late in afternoon shifted from (1) to south of G 5210.
Pit A of G 5223 finished. No chamber - never used. N.B. fragments of royal alabaster statues in filled high up (3 meters) and again near bottom.
In west serdab (no. 4) in G 5220 a skull, a wooden head rest and some pieces of wood.
No war news of importance.
Said returned from Meklawi.
Sunday, December 27, 1914
(1) sand etc. south of G 5210
(2) pit A (chamber) of G 5210
(3) G 5220
(4) pit B G 4940 and in street south of G 4940
[(5)] in street east of G 5040
No developments except in G 5220 where a circular rubble lined pit was discovered just north of pit B [ILLUSTRATION].
This is certainly a treasure hunters' pit and of the Arab period (1200 - 1400 A.D.)
microfilm: end page 76
- Documentation-Expedition diary pages
- Harvard University-Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition
- Credit Line
- Harvard University–Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition
- Display Page Dates
- 12/25/1914; 12/26/1914; 12/27/1914
- Mentioned on page
- Said Ahmed Said [Diraz] (Reis)
- George Andrew Reisner, American, 1867–1942
- Type Author
- Nationality & Dates American, 1867–1942
- Remarks Egyptologist, archaeologist; Referred to as "the doctor" and "mudir" (Arabic for "director") in the excavation records. Nationality and life dates from Who was Who in Egyptology.
- Type Mentioned on page
- Nationality & Dates
- Remarks Head Reis for the Harvard-MFA expedition, 1908–1926. In his "A History of the Giza Necropolis I," George A Reisner described Said Ahmed Said as "the most gifted foreman who ever worked for the expedition." Father of Mohammed Said Ahmed [Diraz] (Head Reis 1936–1939), Mahmud Said Ahmed [Diraz] (Translator), Ahmed Said Ahmed [Diraz]. Family name, Diraz, was supplied by Said Ahmed Said's grandsons in 2006.
Name of this image
Description of the image duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Sed posuere consectetur est at lobortis. Donec sed odio dui.
Hi ! (not you? Login to your account.)